Friday 30 March 2007

The 2007 NSW Big Ride

Well, 15 cyclists from Coffs Harbour completed the annual weeklong NSW Bigride along with about 1170 other cyclists. For many BUG members this ride is the highlight of their cycling year. Congratulations to April and Steven who successfully completed their first Bigride. Apparently not their last they tell me!

So how did you go? I’d love to hear your comments.

I think the ideal ride would have everyday a downhill like Comboyne with scenery like along the Lakes Way and would have at the end of each day a surf like Tuncurry, a campsite like Gloucester with a stream to swim in, dinner in a sawmill like at Buladelah and a place to roam around like Timbertown.

There would be those who would disagree and say, no, we want more days with the heat radiating off the bitumen as on day one, more steep hills as on the way to Buladelah and Gloucester and heavy all night rain and a flooded campsite as at the final camp!
Yes, we sure had variety! And we tested or expanded our comfort zones!

I don’t know about all these over 60 year olds though. I hope if I ever live that long I will have realised you are meant to play bowls in your retirement!

Don’t forget to fill in the Bigride Survey on http://www.bigride.com.au. This has to be done by 15th April. It is your chance to say what you thought were the pluses and minuses of this years ride. But first add your comments to this by clicking on “Comments”.

Happy Cycling

John Gray

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And not only can you comment here, but you can contribute a post too -by writing it out and emailing it to me. See the How to Be a Bug Blogger post for instructions.

John and I don't want to be the only ones posting on this blog!!!

And I don't want to be the only one who can't write short posts!

31 March, 2007 22:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Experiences of a ‘first timer’ on the Big Ride 2007

Yes all that hard work paid off. Thanks to those guys who encouraged me during the training rides.
I was surprised by the discipline that I had developed in the training rides.

I must say that it was a little daunting on the first day riding in exceptional heat in the afternoon to Tuncurry and lack of food in Taree. And the second day awaking to water in my tent and a wet ride for a while. However I overcame any symptoms of heat stroke and a flooded tent and ate a hearty breakfast and pedalled on regardless. As one of my trainers said ‘just keep pedalling’.

I found the daily routine easy to follow: get up, pack, eat and drink, wash dishes, ride bike, stop and drink, stop and eat, stop and drink and so on.
Oh nearly forgot to include the daily visits to the memorable mobile toilets and showers - that was an experience. I kept a lookout for Kenny the famous ‘toiletter’ but missed him. I was hoping to share my dunny experiences with him.

Each day had a different challenge that included different weather conditions, different road base and length of ride and undulations.

I fell of my bike only once which was an achievement as I had been having a few mishaps of late whilst learning the ‘cleats, get your foot out quickly before you stop’ routine.
I saw a few people come off the same way usually from stopping suddenly and I felt every thump as they went down. Which gave me even more resolve not let this happen to me again. Besides my rear is running out of pink space!

The dialogue along the way with all those cyclists pedalling their hearts out was encouraging. We laughed a lot at ourselves as we took turns overtaking, we panted and puffed over the bumps wondering why are we doing this. But at the end of day I had achieved what I set out to do, reach the next town and enjoy my achievement.

Each night I met up with new and old friends and chatted about our days’ experiences over a nice cool drink from the Bago wineries.
Enjoyed good food and entertainment in the marquee and listened to the ‘pet talks’ from various guests.
The funniest night was red faces where riders disguised themselves with outrageous clothing and wit.
I danced on the last night with a ‘professional dancer’ (actually Mark who dances with Trish a few times a week as a pastime) to celebrate the almost completed ride.

Early hours of the last night the rain hit us and it was relentless. We were flooded and muddied, wet and dripping and ready to jump in the sweep bus.
But no we had toughened up and went with the ‘flow ‘so to speak.

After bailing out my tent and packing my wet belongings into my wet bags I went off for breakfast. Enjoyed un-toasted crumpets and cold tea for breakfast whilst standing under a dripping awning with a thousand other people and laughed about how we were going to get out bikes out of the quagmire and onto the road for the final 30km ride to Taree.

BUT we did it and arrived in Taree, mud spattered, to see our cars sitting in another quagmire. Not deterred I put my bike in the car and collected my bags, set plastic bags on my drivers seat and set my mind to find a nice dry motel with a laundry and room service.

Fortunately I did not get bogged in the mud and was able to smoothly ride out of Taree and headed for Forster. The proprietor of the motel did give me strange looks when I arrived wet and muddy and asking for a laundry and room service but once I had explained where I had been etc he was most helpful.

Would I do it again YES?

06 April, 2007 11:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey April, I posted your comment as its very own post!

19 April, 2007 21:14  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home