Sunday 19 July 2009

Women on Wheels

As you know, I ride a recumbent trike. Before making what some might say was a lunatic decision (I think this myself sometimes when I wonder how I can take my trike on a plane for touring - uprights are sooo easy to pack-up, and so familiar to airlines) I researched carefully.

Terry's Bicycles site was a light-bulb moment for me. Being small in stature, some unkindly have said "hobbit-like" (only friends and family), with kinda short arms and legs, I was fascinated to read about Georgena Terry's exprerience. She started off as a cyclist, became a design engineer to get skills to design a better bike frame for women, and here it is. Unfortunately, I can find no Australian distributor for her bike, but here is a link to a whole bunch of videos around upright bicycle knowledge and her design logic. Enjoy! (And no, I'm not the Carole who is quoted on the link! It's just that great minds think alike.)

This woman's story is inspirational. As a confirmed cynic, I do not use "inspirational" lightly - spinal compression, cancer, thyroid removed, 8 children (only 7 of them by birth, ladies), 58 days across the US by trike, and runs a trike tour company. I need to win Lotto, and go, go, go. And she likes pink! Yes! Lucinda Chandler you rock. What do you think Lucinda might do next .. across the Andes by frog, perhaps? Wow!

Team Estrogen is another great site - although mostly an on-line shop, go to community and learn lots.

Meanwhile, back at home ... some Australian women cyclist's stories.

From Carolyn.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home