Wednesday 13 February 2008

Sawtell Ramble

Sunday February 10 2008.

What a beautiful day for a bike ride. Clear sky and a breeze from the SE. My first ride as leader. I was as nervous as a kitten at a dog show. But I knew I was among friends.

Confusion over which cafe to start at was soon sorted out and about a dozen riders had breakfast at Annabells with a discount I found out about later! I couldn't resist the French toast at Split!

The ride started only 10 mins late thanks to John disappearing at 9 am after asking to say a few words before leaving. A few people joined us after a little while bringing the total number to 34. Ian Scott joined me at the front and Max took up the tailgate position on his recumbent. After stopping a few times to allow the tail to catch up we arrived at Garden Mania for a comfort stop. Then on to Lindsays road to the highway underpass and up to Lyons road. Down Lyons road I discover another cycle path that suddenly ends! Back to Sawtell and a well earned coffee and snack.

Everyone made it back in one piece and enjoyed themselves. Thanks to John, Ian and Max for their help and thanks to everyone who come up to me with words of encouragement and appreciation. What a load of great people you meet on a bike. Special congratulations to Greg and the others who are new to cycling and did the 16 km with great effort and in good spirit.

I might even lead another ride one day!

Rob Peddie

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on surviving your first ride as leader Rob! There are heaps of vacant spots in the second half of the year for another one!

20 February, 2008 20:05  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home