Thursday 29 May 2008

BUG shirt prototype.

At last we have in our hot little hands the prototype for the new BUG shirt. Thank you to Rick and Wally for organising this through Wear It.

The shirt (as shown photographed below) is based on the design sample presented a couple of meetings ago by Rick.

Transcript of minutes:

“Russell” Mockridge modelled a design based on previous discussions. Checked sleeves, pockets and collar and CHBUG named on back. Objective is to get away from the tight lycra racing look. “Wear it”, a local shirt manufacturer, has been approached to produce a shirt that’s not a total fitted production shirt, but more a casual shirt with visibility and wicking. Shirt shown that was purchased in Sydney, however this material is not available for 6 months. A second material sample was offered that is available – still wicks – micro fibre. Also looking at collar to turn up. Half zip front. Costed at $50-60 – could have short or long sleeved, small, medium and large choice and quantity not an issue. This price includes the venting material. Suggestion was made to add a reflective strip on top of pockets and/or around sleeve cuffs.

Those present were happy about pattern, colours, collar, material, small logo (to go a little lower down.) and back writing - Rick to provide options to be voted on, on specifics to be written there. Reflective piece liked as long as doesn’t detract too much or add too much to cost. Looser finish as opposed to elasticed cuffs and waist. UV 50+. Zip – longer the better.

This manufacturer is very flexible, you can measure a favourite shirt an inch under the arm pit and measure left to right and they’ll recreate the size.

It is modelled here by some bloke that (photographer) Cheryl refers to as the "local village idiot" (AND she called him a clown!)... The rest of us might recognise him as Brian. (Thanks for doing the catwalk thing Brian, and don't let the pressure of the fashion industry get to you...)

So - BUG members! - after you've looked at it (and you can click on each photo to go to a larger image), it would be great if you could add your feedback via the comments link below. (There are instructions in the sidebar about how to add comments, however if you have problems, email them to coffsbug(at)gmail.com).

Those who went on the Thursday morning BUG ride this week were able to look at it close up, and below the photos is a summary of their reactions so far. This list will be edited as feedback comes in.

Cheryl will also bring the actual shirt to the Sat morning community ride if you'd like to see it in 'real life', and my guess is that it will be discussed at the next BUG meeting in June.




Feedback from Thursday riders:
  • Main complaint was the brightness of the yellow (or rather the lack of it). After some discussion, preferred option was the yellow of the ROMAC shirts (much brighter yellow but not the lime greeny look of the old BUG shirt) *

  • People didn't like one big pocket (it's just one pocket with a zip). The feeling was it would be hard to get things out whilst on the move, things wouldn't sit evenly on long rides. Suggestion was to make it two pockets - one with a zip, one without. Everyone thinks the 3 pocket system makes them 2 small ie hard to shove a folded raincoat in them, thus the 2 pocket option and one without a zip for easy access on the move.

  • Some, but not all suggested a zip front, not buttons as on a ride they might start buttons up and want to unbutton as get hotter and zips are easier.

  • Finally some want long sleeve but think we could probably get it in either and don't think the harlequin would be too much for a full sleeve.

  • Overall I think people liked the design and loved the side "breathable" panel.

  • At least one instantly didn't like it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* ROMAC shirt - for the benefit of comparing yellows.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In regard to the feedback, the question is, with the changes that are suggested, as above, how many will be prepared to buy it? Already there might be a few to take off the estimated numbers who would buy a new shirt, as surveyed by Dale earlier in the year (or was it last year?)

Labels:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schmidt family reactions:

Kids absolutely hate it and "wouldn't be seen dead in it". They hate the checkered sleeves and pockets, plus "what's with the collar?" (Well I guess that will make our outlay much cheaper.)

My immediate reaction is that I don't like it that much. I'm not keen on the look of the check - think it's a bit much. Perhaps it would look better with the brighter yellow. And (seeing the meeting went with the check) the blue squares should be brighter, not so insipid.

I also thought we were going to have 'BUG' somewhere on it. Suggest at least on side panel "COFFS HARBOUR BUG" only. Also thought we agreed on zip not buttons. Agree with above re the yellow and the pockets.

I would not buy one as it is at the moment. Definite changes for me would be have to be a zip, and a deeper yellow.

I doubt I'd get the kids into it with the check, full stop.

29 May, 2008 17:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your kids, Tracey! I wouldn't be seen dead in it.

It needs a long zip, for sure. Two pockets sound good. Brighter yellow would be good and I think the check could be a SMALLER harlequin print. That would make it more of a acceptable pattern,

29 May, 2008 19:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you might be on to something with the suggestions of a smaller check in the harlequin print, Barb.

Tracey

29 May, 2008 23:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Barb - smaller checks might make it look better. Also, why was a collar decided on? (OK, I know I wasn't at the meeting, and now my comments come from afar). I agree that a zip would be better than buttons - I'd like something to look good in as I cycle around Vancouver and promote Coffs Harbour.

Hope your cycling is going well for the cooler weather. My bike doesn't arrive until June 15 and I can't wait!

(PS. Please put a bike under Brian in the photo - he looks like he's ready to go, in the last photo!)

30 May, 2008 08:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think we are running into problems because we are trying to make a compromise shirt? - a "Claytons" shirt - the cycling jersey you wear when you're not wearing a cycling jersey...?

Checks and colours aside, the ones who do like wearing cycling jerseys will not want to wear something that is essentially a polo shirt with pockets on the back.(ie. we won't like the collar, won't like flappy sleeves.. and probably still wouldn't like the zip with a collar.) If you put a zip in it, will the ones who want a looser fit, polo top style, even like it?

30 May, 2008 09:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bluuurp the shirt is awful in all its form. It's more suited to a jockey or clown. Everything about it is wrong.
It looks like everyone had a piece of material and pinned it together. It is not what I call a bike shirt! We need a shirt that is stylish and looks good. If we can't come up with something better keep the old one. There are some great shirts on the web pages for ideas.

30 May, 2008 11:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the checks At this stage lets go with the prototype with ROMAC yellow and two pockets. We wont be able to please all the people all the time!

30 May, 2008 12:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all, can I suggest you don't make a final judgement until seeing the real thing - I don't think the photos do it justice.

Of about 13 (from memory) yesterday, all but one liked it at first sight and I believe would buy it once the changes suggested were made (brighter colours, esp yellow, double back pocket and prefer zip front). I know Brian and I would buy it.

Thing is folks, you all need to come to meetings as we few who do go end up with all the responsibility and then the angst when what's decided isn't what some want. We won't be able to please all on any design issue.

I do believe Rick said the maker was very flexible and would even make them to individual sizes so maybe some could be made without collars?

Hopefully the rain will stop and more of you can see the real thing tomorrow.

30 May, 2008 13:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi everyone!
Unfortunately between Preview & Publish I've just lost over an hours work on the critique for this controversial garment
So most banter,mitigating & supporting comments can be referenced later &/or call me on
66582825 or 0407-209259.

So in short:
* Minimise or flick the checks & where did the "pink" originally come from ?
* Colours I immediately associate with Coffs - yellow (sand), blue(sea), green (forests)
* Collar - 1/3 size,vertical - unisex/fashion cycling.
* Loose fit, inc open sleeves - gender,various body shapes and ages - we are not catering for Olympic aspirants.
* Yellow - up to the Romac colour;
No fluros!
* Pockets - 2; 1 open, 1 zip.
* Front Opening - Zip, 1/3 of the length. Practical for all & female friendly.
* Front Logo - ok, cute & historical.
* Back Logo - Ditch It! It is far too Kitsch!! Let's modernise the design & create a stylish image. Bananas (& large wheels/female anatomy)are so passe'as the major focus- living in the past; so much of what holds this area back to this day.
* side writing concept is ok, but not too much so that it is too hard for the reader to absorb. Consider a decent size
"COFF HARBOUR" on the back over a modern design that leaves large bananas ( & boobs) for the breakfast table!

Tracey; get your inhouse "design team" onto it ! I'll offer a prize for work of a meritorious standard.

Many thanks to the "Village Idiot"!
Good luck everyone!

30 May, 2008 13:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankyou all for going to so much trouble.

What can I say!!! It just does not flow.
Would I buy? No

Best regards,

Wendy

30 May, 2008 15:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[well at least this post is getting some comments on the blog!]

30 May, 2008 15:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so it does look better in reality than on the computer screen.

Barb & Bob, and me and the kids have seen it so far, and we have a few suggestions.

Might be better to wait till more see it in the morning, hopefully, will try and summarise thoughts after that.

30 May, 2008 22:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with April, the shirt looks as if it has been made from "bits". I particularly don't like the checks in any size or colour.
Since I wear long sleeves imagine the reaction to me calling into a shopping centre mid ride?
Could we have a blend of colours rather than such a contrast.
I think collars are difficult to manage
I agree with one back pocket open and one zippered.
No I wouldn't buy one of the current design.

31 May, 2008 18:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My basic reaction is that the sleeves and the rest don't go together and also that the back pocket area should not be checkered.
Not that my opinion is worth much as I have realised that I am not a "uniform" person. We're all individuals after all.
However I am a fan of democracy and the next meeting will vote on the matter.
I would like everyone to think about what is good for the BUG rather than whether you personally like the shirt. If some existing members wouldn't be seen dead in it then we need to ask whether it would put people off joining the BUG.
Not a good sign that the young Schmidts don't like it.

02 June, 2008 21:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a look at the shirt on Sat,it is just not something I would wear,dont want to sound negative,but I prefer a proper cycle shirt for all of the reasons we wear them slim fitting,whicking,3 pockets,etc,and personally try to wear slim designs as I am a vain old woman,who would not be seen dead with a checka board on her butt or Bike wheels looking like boobs on her back ,It seem to me this shirt has been designed for a more mature and fuller figure bug member,suppose we have to decide what type of body shape and age of bug member we wish to sell the shirt too .As much as this may offend some members if we wish to actually sell these shirts in any volume this has to be addressed,maybe we have to have 2 types i.e, traditional cycle shirt(with design input from the people that want to buy it) and the Tee shirt design that we have the prototype off???.

13 June, 2008 11:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly, a big thank you to Henry & Jan for their great Ride Leadership yesterday. In looking after me, they managed to keep me rain-free for all but the first & last 30 metres or so from my front door.

Courtesy of Deb Meredith, I saw the new BUG shirt at the breakfast at the Surf Club. When I saw it on the computer earlier, I was a bit unsure about the design, thinking it might make me more like a court jester than I wanted to look. However my attitude softened after seeing & feeling the garment in the flesh, so to speak. One of the women sitting nearby said that, were the size of the checks to be a little smaller, then she felt that the pattern would be fine to wear. And I thought, yes, I agree with that. I loved the way the check pattern on the sides linked in with our BUG logo on the back of the shirt, integrating the whole. One woman was concerned that the colour of the BUG's eyes was very close to that of breast skin. But there seemed to be agreement that, so long as the shirt was worn around the right way, then no significant harm was likely to come from this.

The airconditioning down the side is great. I would prefer a zip down the front, going about a 1/3 to 1/2 way down. I would also prefer two pockets at the back for the bits & pieces I use to get through the day.

Thanks heaps to Rick & Wally for all the effort you have put into this, and for venturing bravely into the world of haute couture. YS Laurant would be impressed !!

Cheers, Andrew

13 June, 2008 11:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I've been away - have just added the last of the comments forwarded to me (I think!)...

I believe Ian is working on an online survey, so we can quantify all the preferences so keep your eye out for that in your inbox over the next few days.

A couple of us are suggesting that a shirt meeting be held separately to the BUG meeting next week (otherwise we may not get out of there till midnight!)

13 June, 2008 11:57  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home