Monday 22 March 2010

Are cycleways the answer?

SMH Letters to the Editor March 16 2010

Keep cyclists apart for all to be happy

As an avid cyclist who has spent many hours riding to and from work in Sydney and Melbourne, I was astounded to read that Sydney's drivers are considered more aggressive than the maniacs in Melbourne (Letters, March 15). Sure, the infrastructure in Sydney is miles behind that of Melbourne, but I believe Sydney's drivers are far less openly aggressive.

But what strikes me every day is that motorists have no idea how dangerous it is to cut off or intimidate a cyclist on a busy road. A simple bump and the person they were trying to scare ends up under a car, and the driver faces serious charges or civil action.

Drivers and cyclists needn't be mortal enemies - a bit of patience and some mutual respect would do us all the world of good.

Lachlan Spark Surry Hills

I am a 58-year-old cyclist. Since arriving in Sydney a little over a year ago I have twice broken my arm in cycling accidents. Both were caused, in part, by the poor road surface. To cycle on King Street, Newtown, is one of the most hair-raisingly dangerous experiences I can describe, with its uneven surface, ruts and potholes.

I have to tell Janese Boots (Letters, March 15) that I cycle on the footpath as often as possible.

I have frequently cycled past police officers, who clearly understand that cyclists do not belong among the cars. I have never been reprimanded by the police for cycling on the footpath.

I do not dislike pedestrians. Nor do I dislike motorists. I like safety.

Kevin Griffith Enmore

I am a motorist, a cyclist and a pedestrian, and when I am one, I dislike the other two. The only solution is to keep us away from one another. The best way to achieve that is for all three groups to come together to pressure the government into providing the solution. Let's work together to keep us apart.

Anthony Johnsen Marrickville

So basically everyone wants the same thing - separated cycleways. If you want bikes off the footpaths and out of the way of cars, give them their own space. Works everywhere else.

Alacoque Dash Ultimo

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home