Sunday 28 March 2010

Do all cyclists have brains?

After a long, humid summer, the weather in Coffs has become a little cooler. Throngs of cyclists were out and about today. At the markets, on the cycle paths and roads. At the end of a long ride, my partner and I saw a family on an outing. Picture this:

Hubby on bike, with a young child (probably under 8) wobbling by on a tiny bike. Mum trailing somewhat in the rear, with 2 unleashed dogs excited to be with their pack weaving in and out of the group.

My partner and I politely held back from the group as they straggled from the cul-de-sac (Wingfield Close) we were all in and onto the cycleway. I said "You go ahead. We'll wait." to Mum. She replied, "No, you go, I'm waiting for my son." The child was nowhere to be seen. Later, my partner said her son was only slightly older than the other child.

We proceeded onto the cycleway along the bushy, but short, access path. It was then I realised Dad was not going along the cyclepath but rather crossing Hogbin Drive with his pack. But, he was NOT a being a good pack leader. He did not gather all his pack together before crossing, so, poor, faithful dogs were left to cross this busy road on their own.

A screech of brakes later, one doggy was saved a nasty, painful death and myself, partner and his children the sight of their fond family pet being turned into road pizza on a bright, sunny day. Why, oh, why?

Dad was oblivious as he bleated to doggie to "SIT" from the other side of the road. Fortunately, a confused doggy hesitated, not knowing whether to sit or follow its pack, and this and the good reaction time of a kind driver saved its life. Could have been one of the kids for all dad seemed to care.

Dad had a lead for each dog in his hand. We cycled away as fast as possible, desperately trying to eliminate the vision of what could have happened to doggy and driver. Last sighted, Dad was unenthusiastically leashing his dogs.

We are dog lovers. Dogs are our loyal servants. Dogs will follow their pack to the point of exhaustion and even, death, rather than be left behind. We left our 3 dogs at home safe and sound in a fenced backyard. Dogs on leashes running beside bikes don't mix in our opinion.

Children under the age of 10 do not have the visual perception skills to ride on the road. They cannot judge speed or distance of approaching vehicles, and do not have the predictive thinking skills to ride on the road. They should be on a tag-a-long or in a bike trailer.

What are others views?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Narender said...

Nice blog dear I like the way as you present your view among the all visitors. I would like to join you again on this blog it’s a very nice visit on this blog. It’s very attractive and effective for visitors. Road Safety Equipments, Safety Equipments Manufacturers

05 July, 2011 16:32  
Blogger Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

04 December, 2016 02:49  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home