Monday 22 March 2010

What bike's best for commuting? Hmmm ...

Cyclists' spokesman should get on his bike
SMH Letters to the Editor March 18 2010 For discussion and non-profit use only

As (yet another) keen commuter cyclist, I found your report on the use of helmets and European-style bikes both heartening and depressing (''Safety experts urge cyclists to sit up and take notice'', March 16).

While the observations of those such as John Pucher give hope to cyclists (and, it may follow, to all commuters), the most disappointing salvo came unexpectedly from Richard Birdsey who, in two blunt sentences, did a great disservice to the organisation he is supposed to represent.

The stated mission of Bicycle NSW is to ''promote, advocate and support cycling in all its forms''. It would appear its vice-president has forgotten this pledge.

His claim - that only one type of bike belongs on Sydney roads - smacks of that snobbish Lycra-clad attitude that discourages newcomers to Sydney's growing bicycle movement.

In case there were any potential members not distanced by his remarks, he denounces European cycles as being designed ''for women''. How Birdsey believes he can make such a comment ''without sounding sexist'' defies logic. It sounds sexist because it is.

Tony Stock Lindfield

I felt like cancelling my Bicycle NSW membership when I read Richard Birdsey's disparaging and sexist comments.

Experts say the way to make Sydney more bike-friendly is to encourage more women cyclists, and many women prefer this style of bicycle. I have one with mudguards, a chainguard and rounded handle-bars. Mine has 24 gears, as many do. I easily tackle the hills riding to work from Bondi to the city. I also did last year's Sydney to Wollongong ride.

From where I sit, those inciting aggression on our roads are the mostly male speedsters on racing bikes who hog the road, arrogantly holding up buses and cars, instead of using the designated bicycle backroads. But I don't want to create further division.

Someone in Birdsey's positions should not do so either. He should embrace everyone in the cycling family, particularly women.

Rose Hesp Bondi Beach

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

04 December, 2016 02:48  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home